Author Topic: Hosting Disaster My Host Is Shutting Down Hosting  (Read 497 times)

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
  • Infinite diversity in infinite combinations
    • View Profile
    • http://www.crystalfires.net
Hosting Disaster My Host Is Shutting Down Hosting
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »
I'm this close to crying. My host http://www.fan-sites.org is shutting down its hosting service. Starting next Monday August 10, 2015 sites won't be publicly available anymore. Private access to website owners is available until September 10, 2015 for backup and transfering purposes.

I suppose all good things come to an end, but still - I feel like crying. Another hosting disaster.

I'll obviously transfer my most important sites, including oded-fehr.net to another host ASAP first and then figure out what I do about the rest.
Fanfic and other updates will be on hold until I've moved us.

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hosting Disaster My Host Is Shutting Down Hosting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 03:34:09 AM »
I'm this close to crying. My host http://www.fan-sites.org is shutting down its hosting service. Starting next Monday August 10, 2015 sites won't be publicly available anymore. Private access to website owners is available until September 10, 2015 for backup and transfering purposes.

WHAT?! Why is it that as soon as you go through a technological crisis with your sites, and you finally get them back up and running, something happens that makes it all go on the fritz? I feel so frustrated for you. You work so hard on these sites and then stuff like this happens. :gahwarrior:

I suppose all good things come to an end, but still - I feel like crying. Another hosting disaster.

I'm really sorry to hear about this. Are there no reliable host sites out there?

I'll obviously transfer my most important sites, including oded-fehr.net to another host ASAP first and then figure out what I do about the rest.
Fanfic and other updates will be on hold until I've moved us.

So will we lose everything again? Will the forums and fanfic sites be gone permanently? Or will they just be unavailable until you find another host site?

Know that we love you for all of your hard work, Ariane. Don't give up! :hug:

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
A lot of hosts don't like big sites if they're fansites (the image galleries which are pretty much the point of them are usually big) because of copyright stuffs. Or they want us to buy a dedicated server, which I'm not sure I've ever heard of a fansite owner affording.

I bought hosting at Surpass to house crystalfires.net which is the place for all website news etc. that I post. I'm looking into the few other fansite hosts that exist, planet-fans.net looks good and some people over at fan-sites.org support forum have had good experiences with them. So that might be an option. Not giving up yet! :)

I shouldn't lose anything - knock on wood! The forum and gallery and fanfics etc. will just be unavailable until they have been moved to a new host. It just might not happen as quickly as we'd like 'cause the fan-sites.org servers are so busy now that hundreds of webmasters are panicking and doing backups and trying to move their sites.

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hosting Disaster – My Host Is Shutting Down Hosting
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »
I bought hosting at Surpass to house crystalfires.net which is the place for all website news etc. that I post. I'm looking into the few other fansite hosts that exist, planet-fans.net looks good and some people over at fan-sites.org support forum have had good experiences with them. So that might be an option. Not giving up yet! :)

I hope you're able to find another host/server - certainly one that's more reliable and won't cause so many problems in the future. :2037_blue:

I shouldn't lose anything - knock on wood!

I hope not!

The forum and gallery and fanfics etc. will just be unavailable until they have been moved to a new host. It just might not happen as quickly as we'd like 'cause the fan-sites.org servers are so busy now that hundreds of webmasters are panicking and doing backups and trying to move their sites.

I saw the fanfiction site is already unavailable - it says the site is under maintenance. Hopefully you'll find another host soon and can get everything back up and running properly!

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:14:30 PM »

I hope you're able to find another host/server - certainly one that's more reliable and won't cause so many problems in the future. :2037_blue:

Gertie was an awesome host, the problems we've had were either server problems (hard drive going bad etc.) which are normal on any host, or other hostees caused such as hacks/viruses because there are still stupid people who don't have anti-virus and firewall programs on their computers and so get infected and then infect their sites :/ That can also happen on regular hosting :(

I've applied to another fansite hoster, http://www.fans-planet.com because I liked what I saw and I know people have had a good experience with them with one of my other sites and this Oded site. The Vampire Diaries site got accepted, haven't heard about this site yet. If we don't get accepted, or they turn out to be a bad host, I'll move this site to my personal hosting account at Surpass. That should do at least temporarily.

I shouldn't lose anything - knock on wood!

I hope not!

The forum and gallery and fanfics etc. will just be unavailable until they have been moved to a new host. It just might not happen as quickly as we'd like 'cause the fan-sites.org servers are so busy now that hundreds of webmasters are panicking and doing backups and trying to move their sites.

I saw the fanfiction site is already unavailable - it says the site is under maintenance. Hopefully you'll find another host soon and can get everything back up and running properly!

Yes, I turned the maintenance mode on to avoid any updates on the stories until after the move. Fingers crossed everything goes well!

Hosted by flaunt.nu - Privacy Policy - DMCA