Author Topic: eBook Downloading?  (Read 268 times)

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
  • Infinite diversity in infinite combinations
    • View Profile
    • http://www.crystalfires.net
eBook Downloading?
« on: April 25, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »
So one or two people have been asking if I can't provide downloading the stories as eBooks such as *.epub or .mobi. I looked around and there's an ePub module for eFiction, that I installed on my personal archive at http://skeins.crystalfires.net to test it out. It comes with an option for the author to either enable or disable ePub downloading (see the attached screenshot) for each story. Site wide, it is also possible to restrict epub downloads only to registered, logged in members.

I personally download the stories I really really like from AO3 so I can find them easily later, or if they disappear.  like it that it's easy to do that there.

I also copy/paste to word docs from other sites for same reasons, because I learned the hard way that that's the only way ensure access to my favorite stories when things like Geocities deleting all free hosted sites and like a 100 of my favorite fics across 3-4 fandoms along with it. In some cases, that meant losing all the fanfic in a fandom  :gahwarrior:

So, I think I know what at least a few of you think about it, but wanted to get as much input as possible before I decide whether to offer this feature or not.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:59:48 PM by Ariane »

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: eBook Downloading?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:15:21 AM »
I'm sure you already know my thoughts about this. It took a lot for me to agree to publish my stories online, let alone have the entire world have free access to it, since I'm very protective of my work.  :dueling:

I see this from both sides, as you've pointed out the benefits of eBooks, but I suppose it would be up to each author whether they want their stories as eBooks. Perhaps you could make the feature available to the author, and then the author can decide if they want their stories as eBooks rather than letting readers choose?

This is just my thought, so I'm not sure what the other writers here think.   

Hosted by flaunt.nu - Privacy Policy - DMCA