Author Topic: Jeremy Crawford - Known Troll - Don't Engage  (Read 673 times)

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
  • Infinite diversity in infinite combinations
    • View Profile
    • http://www.crystalfires.net
Jeremy Crawford - Known Troll - Don't Engage
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:29:33 PM »
So I got an e-mail from a Jeremy Crawford, current e-mail address jeremy.crawford27@yahoo.com, a known troll or maybe a bot, who likes to scour fannish websites/mailing lists etc. and contact people via IM, e-mail etc. His messages begin with "do you write fanfiction" and any discourse with him leads to him asking you write him fanfic, subjects vary, and when you say no, he gets abusive and curses at you.

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Jeremy_Crawford and http://jeremycrawford.livejournal.com/

So don't engage if you get any sort of contact attempt from him. Or if you did, seems that if you tell him you're on to him and know he's a troll, that'll make him stop. So far, that is working for me, too.

He's been around, trolling for apparently more than 10 years, and it is thought it also uses other screen names to troll. A lot of people have had the misfortune to got hit more than once by him.

He e-mailed me via my account at http://www.squidge.org/peja/cgi-bin/ and because it's very easy to find the Oded fanfic archives if he bothers to follow any of my sigs, I wanted to give you all a heads-up.

And also this post will serve as a reminder to us admins that should Jeremy Crawford ever register for an accound at this forum, he will be banned immediately.

EDIT: Jeremy Crawford is now banned from registering in this forum under that name as well as his known handles.

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremy Crawford - Known Troll - Don't Engage
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:58:16 AM »
If I receive anything from this person/alias, I'll ignore it. But what I'm worried about is if this person has access to the fanfic archive site as well as the forums and current fanfic site. I for one, am very protective of my stories, and I don't want anyone to copy it and post it elsewhere under their name. Is there anything on the fanfic site where you can allow only certain people to read your stories, or is it all open for anyone to read, member or not?

Dawn

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:30:34 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Ariane.  As far as I know, the stories are open for anyone to read.

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 03:40:51 AM »
Quote from: Dawn;16615
As far as I know, the stories are open for anyone to read.

Darn. I wish there was a way for an author to control who can and can't access their stories. Oh well. :frown:

Offline Mommints

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:14 AM »
This idiot gives me the creeps, and after reading the comments made by others, I'm just amazed that there's a Wiki page about him.  

As for control on who can access a story, there are no controls that I know of, Rose.  But perhaps Ariane can confirm or see if we can somehow change that...
Qulub gama, ruuh fi waqt, ya Ardeth Bay

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
Quote from: Desert_Rose14;16614
If I receive anything from this person/alias, I'll ignore it. But what I'm worried about is if this person has access to the fanfic archive site as well as the forums and current fanfic site. I for one, am very protective of my stories, and I don't want anyone to copy it and post it elsewhere under their name. Is there anything on the fanfic site where you can allow only certain people to read your stories, or is it all open for anyone to read, member or not?

I don't think you need to worry about Crawford stealing your/anyone's stories and posting them elsewhere - I've been reading other people's encounters with him and no one has reported that in all these years. He just begs them to write fanfic for him, and whether they do or don't, becomes a pest.

Mommint's right - there is no way with the current version of efiction to restrict who's reading the stories. They're available to all who visit the site. I don't recall of a hack or a plugin or anything that would allow me to turn the site members-only - ie. only for people who have registered an account there, whether they just read or also post fic.
Actually I found one by making each rating accessible only to registered users, inelegant as it is - check out the fanfic site now and tell me what you think. Visitors still have access to profiles and summaries, but they can't read stories now.

As for even more restrictive access ie. something like you could hand-pick persons (like, Mommints may, Ariane may, Jeremy Crawford may not, this Person X that applied that I've never heard of may not) could read you story - that would defeat the purpose of the site completely. For that purpose places like Dreamwidth and Livejournal are better - there you can lock you journal down as tight as you wish, and hand pick which persons you'd like to let access your fanfic. Of course the people you want to give access need to have an account in that service, and I can tell you most of them won't want to join your community or friend you just to be able to read your fanfic. This is one of the most often ranted subject on fanficrants on Livejournal.

To get back to efiction a little - the issue is further complicated that the software hasn't received any updates for three years now. It's not outdated yet but it's getting there, and the longer it goes unupdated, the more unsecure it gets. It looked like it was abandoned because the developer domain expired a few weeks ago. In the end it was renewed by someone else than the developer, and at least user-to-user support can continue but I'm not sure if anyone is really going to take over the developing of the current efiction or not. In the last couple of months or so it looks like someone has started to developed their own fork of efiction they're currenly calling eFiction Plus, there's alpha versions out but whether they'll get out a public usable version is anyone's guess.. but it's something I'll keep my eye on. In any case, new features on efiction won't likely be coming very soon because it might be that efiction itself might end up not being around for much longer.

There was also a Wordpress plugin version of efiction in the works since early last year until sometime this year, developed by the original creator of the original efiction (she developed the 1.x series which she then gave to somebody else to continue development) and I was very excited about that because I absolutely LOVE Wordpress, it has thousands of plugins available (I use a lot of them already on all my sites) including members-only plugins which could be used to make a fanfic archive accessible to only registered users. Sadly, this project is on hiatus now because the developer is busy with RL work.

Lastly, there's a project called AO3 which is short for archiveofourown.org - that fanfic archive is powered by entirely new and actively developed project by several dozens of people, that when it is deemed ready for public release, will be released for public use much like the efiction script. It's the only fan fiction site script that has been continously and actively developed the last several years, it's a lot more secure and modern code than in efiction and they have taken a lot of their users opinions to heart and put them to use. Before the Wordpress plugin project came along, I was thinking that once AO3 would be released to public, I'd switch the sites to it and right now it's looking like that again. Just for security's sake.

So that's a snapshot of state of things with efiction - it's going out of date, may need to switch to another software or fork because of it. But I don't see this coming to pass this year, judging by the pace things are progressing both at AO3 and efiction plus.

Oh man. This got long.

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 05:36:51 PM »
Quote from: Mommints;16617
This idiot gives me the creeps, and after reading the comments made by others, I'm just amazed that there's a Wiki page about him.  

As for control on who can access a story, there are no controls that I know of, Rose.  But perhaps Ariane can confirm or see if we can somehow change that...

That's exactly why they made the page - to keep track of him. And Fanlore is a specilized wiki, about fandom, so his right at home there. Sure made googling him easy peasy :jump:

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 05:54:35 PM »
Jeremy Crawford is now banned from registering in this forum under that name as well as his known handles.

EDIT to add: Actually I found a way to prevent unregistered people from reading stories. It's a rather inelegant way - making each rating accessible only to registered users - check out the fanfic site now and tell me what you think. Visitors still have access to profiles and summaries, but they can't read the stories now.

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »
I haven't been to the fanfic site yet, but this is great news - that the stories there are protected to some extent. Thanks for looking into that, Ariane! :hug2:

Dawn

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »
Thanks for all your help and keeping us up-to-date, Ariane.  I wanted to also let you know that Amazon Kindle has opened up a fanfiction writing thing.  I am going to put a link to an article here.  I do not know how many fandoms they are going to get the rights too, but thought to share this.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-13/amazon-wants-to-sell-your-fan-fiction-through-kindle-worlds

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »
Quote from: Dawn;16624
Thanks for all your help and keeping us up-to-date, Ariane.  I wanted to also let you know that Amazon Kindle has opened up a fanfiction writing thing.  I am going to put a link to an article here.  I do not know how many fandoms they are going to get the rights too, but thought to share this.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-13/amazon-wants-to-sell-your-fan-fiction-through-kindle-worlds

No problem :icon_smile:

As for the Kindle Worlds, the first time I heard about it I immediately thought about Fanlib. And that didn't go too well. Then I read other peoples thoughts on it, including some pro writers' like John Scalzi (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2013/05/22/amazons-kindle-worlds-instant-thoughts/ ) and decided that I'm just going to stay far far way from it. Seems like a scam to me, yet another attempt to monetize fandom.

Fanlore has more also on Kindle Worlds: http://fanlore.org/wiki/Kindle_Worlds

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:48:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Ariane. As much as I'd love to have my stories "officially" published, I don't think sending it/posting it through the Amazon site is a good idea. They can take ideas and characters without your permission and you don't get complete compensation for it. Yep, not worth it for me. My stories stay on the fanfic site. :icon_wink:

Dawn

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
Only mentioned it in passing.  I would never publish anything of mine in that way and I have changed my writing to original characters only.

Hosted by flaunt.nu - Privacy Policy - DMCA