Author Topic: Not new, but... kind of back again in a new place  (Read 934 times)

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
Not new, but... kind of back again in a new place
« on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:35 AM »
Hello again old friends and new...

Isn't life ironic sometimes?  Why, you might ask, well...  as those of you that remember me will also remember, I started on the road of Oded fandom with writing Mummy fan fiction, before moving in other things as well...

Well... last month, I took a new job... teaching in a school in....

Cairo, Egypt.

I laugh myself silly when I think about it.  Surrounded by the Arabic I agonised over when trying to write Power Is, Angel of the Heart and Star of the Morning (which I hope to get back to and finish soon).  I'll be here until at least June of 2012... currently living in Al Rehab, New Cairo.

It would be great to hear from folks again.
Though we deem the captive dead, yet does she live.
For her seed is my seed and her voice is my voice...
...The desert weeps for the profound grief of the prevented voices.
Translation from Inama Nushif​ (Children of Dune).

Offline SHA62

• View Profile
Re: Not new, but... kind of back again in a new place
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:12:01 PM »
WOW  that sounds fascinating.  I would be seeing Ardeth everywhere!

Offline Windsor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
I am a new member here (since October) but not a new fan of Oded.  It all started back with the Mummy.  Had I known you all existed, I too would have been here.  Never mind.  I have read through many of the old postings and I have certainly seen your name.  Congrats on the new job.

I have always wanted to go to Egypt, since I was a kid.  I don't know if I will ever get there but I hope I do.  In the meantime, enjoy your experience.  We will have to live vicariously through you! :tut:

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
Hello! I'm a new member here myself - I've only been here since October. I, too, have been a fan of Oded for years - it all started with "The Mummy" for me.

I've been working on fanfics of Oded's characters for a few years now and am slowly making my way through them (it's not easy when you're a university student). I haven't posted any of my fanfics yet because none of them are done, but I hope to soon! I'm going to have to read yours - they sound great!

Also, congrats on the job and hope you're enjoying life in Egypt! :banana:

Offline InsaneMisha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 06:05:17 AM »
I'm a new member here, too...probably since October, I think.  Wow, awesome about teaching job in Egypt!  It's somewhat irony but it's funny to find yourself in the place of all that!  LOL at least be glad that Imtohemp (spelling?) is buried somewhere far away!  Nice to meet ya. :P

:splat:

Offline Mommints

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Not new, but... kind of back again in a new pl
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:57:25 AM »
May an old friend stop by and add on her welcome?
Wow, my friend...your in Egypt?!?!?! Holy mother of pearl.
Wait, I have a great idea...since you came to visit me oh so long ago, how about I come to you now and play catch up? *grins* Yes?

Of course, I'm teasing but it's great to hear from you, Eirian. *smiles*
Qulub gama, ruuh fi waqt, ya Ardeth Bay

Offline Bettina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »
Oh, your name sure rings a bell! Greetings from Germany. I'm formerly known as BlackB (from OFAS). Hope you have a great time (as expected) in Egypt!

Dawn

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:29:50 AM »
Hi Eirian,  sounds like you finally hit it there.  Good luck with the new job in Egypt.  I remember you and read your stories.

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
Hi again folks...

Phew, getting hot here...  still in Egypt, and staying here for one more year after the current contract ends.  The school love me and want to keep me.  It's hard work, really hard work though, hence my continued absence from here - something I hope to change - rectify... soon.

On the writing front, I've just been slapped around the head by what I think will be another mammoth project, but one which worries me slightly as it's basically a third 'season' of Sleeper Cell.  Farik just won't leave me alone though, so I know I have to write it.  Whether it sees the light of day or not, that's another story.  Will depend I suppose if anyone wants to/is willing to read something like that.

Mommints - go for it.  My couch is yours, should you visit. :)

Hugs for now
Hope to keep in touch more
Eirian

Offline SHA62

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »
I admire your dedication please be safe. I would love to read your stories.

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 01:11:32 AM »
Quote from: Eirian;12563
On the writing front, I've just been slapped around the head by what I think will be another mammoth project, but one which worries me slightly as it's basically a third 'season' of Sleeper Cell.  Farik just won't leave me alone though, so I know I have to write it.  Whether it sees the light of day or not, that's another story.  Will depend I suppose if anyone wants to/is willing to read something like that.

I have a Farik fanfic on the go right now too, and would love to read what you've created for him. :icon_wink:

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 01:29:56 AM »
Don't worry Sha62, I will be safe...  I'm being very careful out here.

As for the story - I have about 850 words of the first part written.  I did that earlier today.  I just have another small flashback to write and then I can think send it out into the world... maybe.

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 01:32:04 AM »
That's cool :)  I didn't see that people were writing Farik, but it's a relief to know that someone out there is.  He's a tough one to write for, that's for sure. :)

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:48:55 AM »
Quote from: Eirian;12567
That's cool :)  I didn't see that people were writing Farik, but it's a relief to know that someone out there is.  He's a tough one to write for, that's for sure. :)

Oh, I won't deny that. My story may be a little different than the "flow" of the Sleeper Cell series, but I think it's a good one. A nice moral tied to it. :icon_wink:

Offline SHA62

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 02:05:52 AM »
I would love for you to do just a day of your life there.  I have never been oversees and would love to get a glimpse

Dawn

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 02:15:10 AM »
Hi Eirian, I remember you and I have read your stories.  I cannot believe you are in Egypt.  I know you are working hard, but enjoy and try to keep us posted on what is happening with you.  My husband was born in Egypt, outside of Cairo in Heliopolis.  He said he hopes you are enjoying your stay.

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »
Sha62, My day here starts quite early.  I live in Rehab City, a gated city in New Cairo, and since the school I work in begins at 8am, I must leave my apartment at 7am in order to get to the place where the school bus picks up the staff from my group of buildings.  It takes about a half hour to make the drive around Rehab, and then out to Mirage City, where the school is located.  We begin our working week on Sunday, of course - being a Muslim Country, Egypt's weekend days are Friday and Saturday.  That's a remarkably big adjustment, working Sundays... as strange as it sounds. On Mondays and Thursday, the staff have a briefing with the Headmaster, and Head of Primary respectively, but on the other days, as we arrive at around 7:40am, we have 20 minutes to prepare our classroom for the day.

At 8am, I go down to the courtyard of the school to meet my class of 25 children, mostly the children of wealthy Egyptian families, (and one ex-pat Kiwi, who is the daughter of the head of the Secondary School).  We line up for the singing of the Egyptian National Anthem (daily) before going to class for Roll call.  Lessons begin at 8:25am, and there are six in the day between then and 2:50pm, when the last lesson ends.  It is an English speaking school, though the children frequently break the rules and talk to each other in Arabic - and honestly, I don't enforce that rule too heavily because I believe in valuing the child's home language...  and also because they're helping me to learn Arabic too.  They do like it when I try to speak to them in 'Arabi.'

After school, the bus returns the staff to Rehab (as well as those that live in Ma'adi and Heliopolis), leaving school at 4:10pm.  So I'm usually back at my apartment for around 4:30pm.  I do most of my shopping at the local Metro Market (which is like a supermarket), and I can usually get most thing I need and am familiar with there.  I can also go to the souk in Rehab, which is where there are many smaller stores, and you can generally find just about everything there.  The thing about shopping at the souk is that the store owners don't all speak such good English as in the supermarket.  So I'll usually only go there to shop when I'm feeling brave and want to try out my limited (but improving) Arabic.  It's true what they say about immersion being the best way of learning a language.  I'm still at that survival stage, where it's very basic things that I can say... though I can understand much more than I can articulate.

It's still a little bit nerve-wracking, even after six months here - and a lot of the time, as a 'foreigner' I have to be prepared to put my foot down with some people.  I'm not saying that Egyptians are necessarily 'bad' people, but many /are/ in a bad situation...  finances are tough everywhere in the world, we know that - but here, the ordinary people do struggle a lot, so any chance they see to get a little extra - like say, charging a 'westerner' a little more than they would charge their Egyptian countrymen... well, they try and take it, and frankly, who can blame them.  It gets a bit tedious dealing with that all the time though - that and 'baksheesh'  Man how you soon learn to detest /that/ word.  LOL

On the whole though it's not too terribly bad, so long as you follow the rule - act like you belong - folk soon get to know you, and start treating you a bit more like 'one of the guys' you know?  

TV is interesting.  There are very few channels in English, and the ones that are show very old films and TV series. LOL  all subtitled in Arabic of course. LOL  Or you can watch TV in Arabic, like I do sometimes, if I find a show I know already.

Sleeping past 5am is a lot easier now than it used to be.  When I first arrived, the Call to Prayer would always wake me.  Not so much now... The Mosque is fairly close to my apartment though, so if they turn up the speakers, as they sometimes do (particularly on Fridays) it will still wake me.

I've rambled a lot, and can't think of anything else that could be of interest, but please feel free to ask anything you're curious about though.  Dawn, I know Heliopolis a little bit.  It's where the big modern shopping mall is, with the movie theater and stuff (City Stars).  I don't go there often though, because right now we're still being advised to keep out of crowded spaces too much.

Offline Windsor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
Quote from: Eirian;12598
Sha62, My day here starts quite early.  I live in Rehab City, a gated city in New Cairo, and since the school I work in begins at 8am, I must leave my apartment at 7am in order to get to the place where the school bus picks up the staff from my group of buildings.  It takes about a half hour to make the drive around Rehab, and then out to Mirage City, where the school is located.  We begin our working week on Sunday, of course - being a Muslim Country, Egypt's weekend days are Friday and Saturday.  That's a remarkably big adjustment, working Sundays... as strange as it sounds. On Mondays and Thursday, the staff have a briefing with the Headmaster, and Head of Primary respectively, but on the other days, as we arrive at around 7:40am, we have 20 minutes to prepare our classroom for the day.

At 8am, I go down to the courtyard of the school to meet my class of 25 children, mostly the children of wealthy Egyptian families, (and one ex-pat Kiwi, who is the daughter of the head of the Secondary School).  We line up for the singing of the Egyptian National Anthem (daily) before going to class for Roll call.  Lessons begin at 8:25am, and there are six in the day between then and 2:50pm, when the last lesson ends.  It is an English speaking school, though the children frequently break the rules and talk to each other in Arabic - and honestly, I don't enforce that rule too heavily because I believe in valuing the child's home language...  and also because they're helping me to learn Arabic too.  They do like it when I try to speak to them in 'Arabi.'

After school, the bus returns the staff to Rehab (as well as those that live in Ma'adi and Heliopolis), leaving school at 4:10pm.  So I'm usually back at my apartment for around 4:30pm.  I do most of my shopping at the local Metro Market (which is like a supermarket), and I can usually get most thing I need and am familiar with there.  I can also go to the souk in Rehab, which is where there are many smaller stores, and you can generally find just about everything there.  The thing about shopping at the souk is that the store owners don't all speak such good English as in the supermarket.  So I'll usually only go there to shop when I'm feeling brave and want to try out my limited (but improving) Arabic.  It's true what they say about immersion being the best way of learning a language.  I'm still at that survival stage, where it's very basic things that I can say... though I can understand much more than I can articulate.

It's still a little bit nerve-wracking, even after six months here - and a lot of the time, as a 'foreigner' I have to be prepared to put my foot down with some people.  I'm not saying that Egyptians are necessarily 'bad' people, but many /are/ in a bad situation...  finances are tough everywhere in the world, we know that - but here, the ordinary people do struggle a lot, so any chance they see to get a little extra - like say, charging a 'westerner' a little more than they would charge their Egyptian countrymen... well, they try and take it, and frankly, who can blame them.  It gets a bit tedious dealing with that all the time though - that and 'baksheesh'  Man how you soon learn to detest /that/ word.  LOL

On the whole though it's not too terribly bad, so long as you follow the rule - act like you belong - folk soon get to know you, and start treating you a bit more like 'one of the guys' you know?  

TV is interesting.  There are very few channels in English, and the ones that are show very old films and TV series. LOL  all subtitled in Arabic of course. LOL  Or you can watch TV in Arabic, like I do sometimes, if I find a show I know already.

Sleeping past 5am is a lot easier now than it used to be.  When I first arrived, the Call to Prayer would always wake me.  Not so much now... The Mosque is fairly close to my apartment though, so if they turn up the speakers, as they sometimes do (particularly on Fridays) it will still wake me.

I've rambled a lot, and can't think of anything else that could be of interest, but please feel free to ask anything you're curious about though.  Dawn, I know Heliopolis a little bit.  It's where the big modern shopping mall is, with the movie theater and stuff (City Stars).  I don't go there often though, because right now we're still being advised to keep out of crowded spaces too much.

Thank you Eirian!  This was so interesting and I appreciate you sharing this with all of us!

Windsor

Offline SHA62

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 02:51:54 AM »
I could read stories like this all day.  Do you feel threatened at all because you are not from that country.  I can't imagine living somewhere I didn't know the language but at the same time it seems so exciting.  your students must make you very happy.  Is the area you are in a main city?  what are the building like? are there modern appliances and such? I am so sorry to have so many questions but different cultures are so interesting to me.  I feel we as Americans take so much for granted.

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 11:17:31 PM »
Aiwa, certainly at first I felt threatened.  It took me a long time, actually, to feel at all secure and there are times when I have relapses, where all I want to do is hurry inside my apartment and shut my door and never come out again.  But as I've been here longer, and my understanding of Arabic is improving - though my use of it remains limited, rather like a child with one or two words, maybe the occasional full sentence, though those are rare - I feel more secure more of the time.  The other thing is, being a Muslim country, as a lone female, though Egypt is more relaxed about some aspects of Islam, I am still often regarded as an object to be gawped at, by males in particular.  I make sure I dress conservatively whenever possible, and I have yet to dare use the swimming pool at school (we have a full sized outdoor heated pool) for that very reason.

My students make me very happy. They are adorable children, and very loving.  Actually that's one thing about the culture here that I like.  Once you're accepted, then it's like family.  The father of one of my girls for instance, at a parten teacher conference said to me, 'Remember, you have a brother here in Egypt.  If you need anything, you have only to ask.'  I was very touched by that.

Where I live is about an hours drive (in easy traffic) from the middle of Cairo, though the traffic is very rarely 'easy' traffic.  Here is the website for El-Rehab City (where I live) http://www.alrehabcity.com/rehab2011/ and here is the website of the school http://www.cesegypt.com/index.cfm   Together they will give some ideas as to what the buildings are like where I am.  There are modern appliances, as well as ones that seem to be from around ten years ago... the one thing that is most irritating is the internet... which sometimes /reallly/ doesn't work well at all.

I don't mind the questions at all.  It's easier to talk about things when you know what people want to know :)

Offline SHA62

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 11:04:22 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing. The links you provided gave me a great insight of Egypt.  The school looks very nice and the children seem so happy.  And the are you live in seems very nice.  I will pray that you stay safe.  I am so impressed that you are learning what sems to be avery difficult language. Is the school for children of people who are from out of the country there to work or are they now permanent residents and english is just the chosen language of the school?

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »
Hi there, again,

The language is difficult, yes. Apparently one of the most difficult in the world to learn.. and Egyptian Arabic is of course different from Modern Standard Arabic... anyway, I try.  The school is for anyone who is able to pay the fees (it /is/ a fee paying school).  For example in my class I have 25 children.  22 are Egyptians, 1 is a Kiwi, and 1 is from Nigeria and one other is another nationality (I can't remember which now).  We follow a British Curriculum in the school, and that is why the language of the school is English.  The children do, however (as required by the government of Egypt) have lessons in Arabic for Arabic, Egyptian Social Studies, and Religion, (Islam or Coptic Christianity).  These are taught by specialist teachers.

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »
Just a quick addition to let people that expressed an interest in reading it know that I just posted the first chapter of  Sleeper Cell: Balance of Terror to Weaver of Dreams - it's not yet validated, but it's posted.

Offline InsaneMisha

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 04:49:38 AM »
Quote from: Eirian;12733
Just a quick addition to let people that expressed an interest in reading it know that I just posted the first chapter of  Sleeper Cell: Balance of Terror to Weaver of Dreams - it's not yet validated, but it's posted.
Ohhh that's great! Finally Farik fanfic! I kmow it's hard to write that.  Can't wait to read it.

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »
Difficult to write, and balance and everything - but you can expect my usual mix of everything, including being terribly mean to Farik, and his new... um... wife. :D

Offline Eyal Lavin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »
trying to delete
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:59:41 PM by Eyal Lavin »

Offline Windsor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »
Quote from: Eirian;12740
Difficult to write, and balance and everything - but you can expect my usual mix of everything, including being terribly mean to Farik, and his new... um... wife. :D

The link please?

Offline Eirian

• View Profile

Offline SHA62

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
Hope all is well where you are Eirian. CNN has been doing alot of coverage.  Stay safe

Offline Windsor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 09:36:09 PM »
Quote from: SHA62;13194
Hope all is well where you are Eirian. CNN has been doing alot of coverage.  Stay safe

My thoughts exactly.  Take care.

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »
Hi guys - thanks for all of your good wishes and all, school broke for summer on June 21st, and frankly, I got the hell out of dodge.  Spent a weekend in London, and now I'm spending the summer in North Carolina, USA with my spouse.  I don't have to go back to Egypt until August 25th, and Mir and I are working on me not having to go back at all.  So just wanted you all to know that I'm safe. :)

Offline SHA62

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »
Glad to hear it.  I'm sure you had the experience of a lifetime!

Offline marylou

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »
Hope the "not going back" plan works out.  Emotions are running high in Egypt these days.  One on one, the people are probably very welcoming.  Mobs turn people into something so different, though.  That mentality, in any country or culture, has a way of harming by-standers.  Best of luck to you, Erian.

Offline Eirian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »
The 'not going back' plan has an interesting story behind it...
Coming into the USA with my Mir (my spouse/partner) after a brief sojourn in London, I was sent to secondary immigration checks (in other words, I was detained).  However, during the course of the interview with the immigration officer - to see if they were going to let me into the country for the summer - the officer that processed me suggested a possible route for me to finally get a visa, and be allowed to actually stay and live with my love.  We are currently investigating that possibility with the assistance of an immigration lawyer.  To put this in context for those that don't know me well, I have been in this relationship with Mir since 2004, forced to live apart and seeing each other only usually for a maximum of 13 weeks spread over the course of a year, each year.

So yeah - I hope the 'not going back' plan works out too. :)

Offline marylou

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
Hope you get what you want!  :emot_yourock:

Offline InsaneMisha

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 01:19:51 AM »
Good Luck! Hope things are going your way as you wish.

Hosted by flaunt.nu - Privacy Policy - DMCA