Author Topic: Thinking Of Closing The Site Down  (Read 130 times)

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
  • Infinite diversity in infinite combinations
    • View Profile
    • http://www.crystalfires.net
Thinking Of Closing The Site Down
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
Iíll be closing down my fansites/screenapping sites. Iím not sure which ones yet Ė I kinda want to close down all of them, really.
Some reasons I wonít go into here, and also because theyíre taking much of my energy (Iím a spoonie and have been for a few years now) and I feel like I want to try and use what energy I have for more creative pursuits such as writing fanfic and making fanart and non-Internet related creative stuff. Fansites are like a work obligation Ė I know people want and expect updates often and regularly and I feel like I must do that first before anything else. Iíll feel quilty if I don't. But then I donít have any energy left for creative things. I still love doing fansites but I miss being able to do creative things terribly, and that dissatisfaction is bugging me. I kind of want the feeling of not having obligations to update and monitor sites - even if there's nothing to update with, there's always the chance that the server will blow up or database problems or hacking or whatever. So while most of the time everything goes smoothy and doesn't require action, it's always in the back of my mind that anything and everything could blow up any minute. I can't remember what not-worrying-about-that feels like.

This site is also more complicated because I feel like I can close down the gallery and the main site okay, because I've done the majority of work on building them. BUT I feel like I don't have the permission to close down the fanfic sections and that I have the responsibility to either keep them going myself, or finding them a new home (any takers?) because I adopted them from other people, and other people's fic make up them. I also just hate the thought of all of that wonderful fic lost forever. Most of it isn't available anywhere else. Too many fandom and fanfic sites I have loved with unique fic on them have gone up in smoke entirely, or become broken-links galore and I'd hate to do that same thing to other fans.

So, I've no idea what to do about this site... would anyone here like to adopt it from me? I'd be willing to let someone take it off my hands...

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:56:54 PM by Ariane »

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking Of Closing The Site Down
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
I wouldn't mind taking over the forums, gallery, and fanfic sites. The only problem is that I'm not that tech-savvy to fix major problems like server errors or other issues that cause glitches or the sites to shut down. I also don't know how to deal with hackers, etc. I'd take over all of your Oded-related sites, but I'd need a lot of teaching/assistance to understand how they work, when to update, and other technological issues. I'd also need instruction on where to download screencap software and where to find TV shows online where I could make HQ screen caps like you do and how to make the video clips like you do for the media page. It sounds like so much extra work for you to do all of that, so I'm not sure what to do. I love these sites and check them regularly, and I'd hate to see them closed down. Like I said, I'd love to take them over, there's just a lot I need to learn to be able to run the sites successfully.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:11:31 PM by Desert_Rose14 »

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind taking over the forums, gallery, and fanfic sites. The only problem is that I'm not that tech-savvy to fix major problems like server errors or other issues that cause glitches or the sites to shut down. I also don't know how to deal with hackers, etc. I'd take over all of your Oded-related sites, but I'd need a lot of teaching/assistance to understand how they work, when to update, and other technological issues. I'd also need instruction on where to download screencap software and where to find TV shows online where I could make HQ screen caps like you do and how to make the video clips like you do for the media page. It sounds like so much extra work for you to do all of that, so I'm not sure what to do. I love these sites and check them regularly, and I'd hate to see them closed down. Like I said, I'd love to take them over, there's just a lot I need to learn to be able to run the sites successfully.

That'd be purely awesome!  :clap: I was hoping you'd be interesting in taking over  :elephant: I'm totally happy to train you about all the things you said. You wouldn't have to try and do everything right from the start, we can make you officially staff everywhere and ease you into it in steps until you're comfortable with the actual updating of the various areas (site, forums, gallery, fanfic) before tackling the behind-the-scenes admin and server stuff. They're all run by different scripts so it might be a little confusing at first but I've no doubt that you'd learn and get used to them.

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 03:13:09 PM »
Sounds great! I'll definitely take over the Oded sites from you (forums, gallery, media, fan fiction, etc.).  :icon_smile:

Will you stay a member on here and on the other sites, just not as an owner/administrator?

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »
Yep, I'll hang around  :icon_biggrin: Can't do without my Oded fix  :chacha:

Do you have accounts on all the sites? Obviously you do on here and WOD, but what about the gallery?

Offline Desert_Rose14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »
I have accounts on the forums and on the fan fiction site, but I don't think I have one for the gallery and I know I don't have one for the media site. I can register on the gallery site and the media site, although I'll probably use the same username as I do on the other two sites (Desert_Rose14) just to keep it simple and easier for me to remember - I'm prone to forgetting things easily!  :chargrined:

*EDIT*
1. I went to register on the gallery site and there's only a login page, not a registration page.
2. The media site appears to be non-existent. Is there any way to re-activate it so I can take it over? 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:02:22 PM by Desert_Rose14 »

Offline Ariane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:37:46 PM »
I'll create you an account on the gallery (logins are disabled due to spam registrations) and then I'll e-mail you. I deleted the media site as part of this change - I hosted all my video clips there in addition to Odedly ones and also the software that I used is one I had to pay for and it's licensed to me personally and only so can't give that to you. I do have the Oded video clips I made though, and I'll upload those somewhere for you so you can get them for building a media site if you want to. flaunt.nu has some rules about the size of allowed files which affect where they can be uploaded to the site or need to be somewhere else. I'll have to check that. Anyway, I'll e-mail you later today or tomorrow once I've got your accounts set up! :)

Hosted by flaunt.nu - Privacy Policy - DMCA